Communal division to caste torn polls BJP’s poll graph declining fast

BJP has no reason to beat drums in Maharashtra when it has lost its percentage of polls from recently held Lok Sabha election. BJP had secured 31% of votes in Lok Sabha polls in Maharashtra whereas its percentage came down to 27.8 in the Assembly election. The BJP, in spite of its wholehearted efforts to communalize the electoral environment failed miserably to catch Maratha votes in Maharashtra. The Maratha votes got divided in three segments, Shiv Sena, Congress and NCP (19.3 + 18.0 + 17.2). This makes 54.5% of the total votes besides the votes polled by other smaller parties and independent. The BJP has nothing to celebrate with just 27.8% of votes which is secured by spending tones of money, false promises and horrors of caste and communal division.” This was the political analysis worked out by Prof.Bhim Singh, Chief Patron of National Panthers Party and Member of National Integration Council. He said that BJP could not secure even 1/3rd of the total votes polled in the election. 36% of the total voters in the state were absent. The BJP could hardly reach 15% of the total number of voters in Maharashtra, mostly non-Marathas. After effects of Maharashtra Assembly polls, 2014 may give rise to polarization between locals and non-locals and Marathas and non-Marathas. This is the Modi contribution which shall not be good for the future of the largest democracy in the world.

Prof.Bhim Singh commenting on Haryana Assembly results shared the views of those who believe that the BJP election campaign or strategy to alienate Jats from the rest of the community shall prove counter productive and weakened the national integrity in the north. He said that, though, BJP got 47/90 Assembly seats for the first time but it secured only just 1/3rd of the total votes polled (33.2%) and less than ¼th of the total electorates in Haryana. This was disgusting, Prof.Bhim Singh remarked that the BJP tried to demonize the Jats community in the election just for timely gain leaving the bad taste between the Jats and non-Jats in the state. In spite of all this INLD, INC, IND & BSP (24.1 + 20.6 + 10.6 + 4.4) together managed to secure 59.1% of votes which is an extraordinary strength in democracy.

Prof.Bhim Singh recollected that Acharya Vinoba Bhave ji had asked him a question when he (Bhim Singh) met him in his (Acharya) Ashram, Wardha in 1979 that as long as the puzzle in parliamentary democracy is not resolved which makes 51 absolute and 49 non-existent, democracy can’t be harmonized. What he meant was that a political party which secures even 51% of the total number of seats in a legislature takes over full command of the government leaving 49% as helpless creatures. Prof.Bhim Singh said that this question of Vinoba ji needs an open debate to resolve a serious lacuna in our parliamentary system in India. Prof.Bhim Singh said that the present system has to be reworked to ensure involvement of all political parties in the process of national building. There are number of seats in the legislature shall have to be worked out on the basis of percentage of votes. He said that the political corruption/individual corruption by the candidates can also be checked. Proportional representation with some scientific amendments needs to be introduced with bold face and no hesitation.

Prof.Bhim Singh said that the research work conducted by some freelancers has indicated that Rs.5 to 10 crores were spent in one Assembly constituency by the candidates of the bigger parties both in Maharashtra and in Haryana. This money menace and political corruption may destroy the very roots of democracy if not checked in time.